Friday, October 21, 2011

Senior UN officials respond to the former Under-Secretary-General Inga-Britt Ahlenius's end of service report that was recently leaked to the press


Ahlenius end-of-service report on OIOS and Ban Ki-moon secrecy is here (click here)

STORY: UN / AHLENIUS
TRT: 1.32
SOURCE: UNTV
RESTRICTIONS: NONE
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH / NATS

DATELINE: 22 JULY 2010, NEW YORK CITY

SHOTLIST:

RECENT 2010, NEW YORK CITY

1. Wide shot, exterior United Nations headquarters

22 JULY 2010, NEW YORK CITY

2. Wide shot, video press conference
3. Cutaway, reporters
4. SOUNDBITE (English) Angela Kane, Undersecretary-General for management, United Nations:
“When it comes to the peace and security issues I think the Secretary-General has been very much at the forefront of all kinds of important issues of the day; he is at the same time the chief administrative office as he is leading the charge on all of the political issues. We just heard that he’s met with the leader of the United Kingdom this morning; I also want to mention that it’s the Millennium Development Goals, it’s not only the political issues, but also the social and economic issues. I just want to mention climate change. So I think that Mrs. Ahlenius statement I found rather surprising I must say from my vantage point that she make such a statement which I do not believe is reflective of the facts.”
5. Cutaway, reporters
6. SOUNDBITE (English) Angela Kane, Undersecretary-General for management, United Nations:
“This is an end of assignment report. It is a personal opinion of one person from within the Secretary-Generals senior team and I think that this is something that is going to be taken very seriously, and it is also a moment to sort of say ‘lets have a look at this, what does it really mean’. As I mentioned before we have also found that there are a number of inaccuracies in the report, a number of omissions in the report and I think that when one looks at the whole picture it gives a very different impression.”
7. Cutaway, journalists
8. Wide shot, press conference

STORYLINE:

Angela Kane, the United Nations (UN) Under-Secretary-General for management briefed journalists today (22 July) at the UN on the recent end of assignment report from former Under-Secretary-General Inga-Britt Ahlenius in which she criticized UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

Commenting on Ahlenius statements concerning Bans handling of peacekeeping issues, Kane said that when it came to peace and security issues the Secretary-General had been “very much at the forefront of all kinds of important issues of the day.”

She added, “I found rather surprising I must say from my vantage point that she make such a statement which I do not believe is reflective of the facts.”

Kane also explained that the document, which was leaked to the press, was Ahlenius’ end of assignment report. She noted that it was a personal opinion of one person from within the Secretary-General’s senior team and “I think that this is something that is going to be taken very seriously, and it is also a moment to sort of say ‘lets have a look at this, what does it really mean’.”

No comments: